Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Books!

I finally convinced myself to finish The Lungfish, the Dodo, and the Unicorn: An Excursion into Romantic Zoology (revised edition) by Willy Ley. I love this book because it's intriguing, insightful, delightful, and well-written. One of the reasons I wanted to finish the book was so that I could more singularly focus on another esoteric-history book. The one I am talking about is Riddles in History by Cyrus H. Gordon. It's about strange runes in strange places, undeciphered inscriptions, and pre-Colombian settlements in the New World. From what I've read so far (the first three pages), it seems pretty good. However, the author is pro-Semitic to an obnoxious degree which is not too surprising, because his middle name is "Herzl" for cryin' out loud. Anyway, back in the 60s, he proposed that a tablet found somewhere in the American Southwest was written in a Hebrew script (instead of the generally-accepted Cherokee script theory) and used this to go off on a lifelong rant that the Jews had settled in the New World in the 600s anno domini. I don't expect to believe much of what this man expounds in his book; after all, he clings to the thought that the Vinland Map is genuine.