Monday, April 23, 2007

The Useless Language Wikipedia Project, Part 0: The Dark Ages of the ULWPP

Man, this is awesome. I'm all set up to teach you guys about a language that I don't speak at all. Talk about the blind leading the blind, eh? Okay, let's begin!

No, wait, we can't begin yet. I have to explain what the Useless Language Wikipedia Project is. The ULWPP is a project that I started to help inflate the article count on low-article-count Wikipediae. It began when I saw the Dzongkha Wikipedia. It claimed to have 14 articles, but 12 of them were spam, one was a random list of cities and things in Bhutan, and the other was the actual main page. This was sad, so I found some online resources and began to glark basic spelling and syntax. I then proceeded to write two brief Wikipedia entries: here and here.

That was sort of exciting, but frankly, Dzongkha is one of the suckiest languages ever. About half of the letters written are silent, remnants of the tonal Tibetan language from which Dzongkha evolved. It's also horribly painful to write in; seeing as it's written using the Tibetan alphabet, I had to take a character map and copy-paste letters and diacritics (all the vowels are written above or below the consonants, except for "a" which is unwritten and implied) one by one. It was lame and I then decided to move on to an easier low-article-count Wikipedia.

Enter the Marshallese Wikipedia. I was really excited about this one, because it was Roman alphabet-based (albeit with some funky diacritics, like an n with a macron, n̄). To top it off, Marshallese is an extremely laid-back language, a byproduct of it being unwritten for so many centuries. Words can pretty much go in any order in a sentence and the listener will be able to understand the gist of your message. There is no one spelling for any word, either. For example, the word for "hello" can be spelt as "yokwe," "jokwe," "iokwe," "jiokwe," or any of numerous other spellings. My Marshallese glee, however, was short-lived; I had only written one article before I discovered an even easier language's Wikipedia to mess with: Bislama.

I wrote a giant and pretty cool history of Bislama here, but you'll get to read it later, when I make ULWPP Part 1: A Bislama Primer! Stay tuned!

I want to actually make ULWPP a legitimate Wikiproject, like Wikiproject:Biography, but I'm pretty inept when it comes to Wikipolitics and I don't know how to go about doing this. Similarly, I'd like to become an administrator for Dzongkha or Marshallese or Bislama because these wikipediae don't have any adminstrators, and consequently lie ripe for vandalism. Alas, my Wikipolitical ineptitude stops me here too. I need some ULWPP diplomats. Also, we need to change the name. I sincerely doubt that Bhutanese people, Marshallese people, and Vanuatuans appreciate their languages being labelled "useless."

...Even if it is true.