Monday, September 3, 2007

On iPods and Unicode support

So, one of the bands on my iPod is the ever-awesome Moxy Früvous. Also, some of the songs and artists are in Japanese, like the song "ホスピタル ダブ (名医とよばれたい)," by 鈴木慶一, 田中宏和, 松前公高, and on the album "MOTHER 1+2 オリジナル サウンドトラック." All of these show up properly, so clearly the iPod has some Unicode support for letters beyond the standard letters used in English. But just how much support did it have?

Enter đȉẳƙṝḭʈḯɕ. For those of you who can't read that, it should look like this:


That's "LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH STROKE, LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH DOUBLE GRAVE, LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH BREVE AND HOOK ABOVE, LATIN SMALL LETTER K WITH HOOK, LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH DOT BELOW AND MACRON, LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH TILDE BELOW, LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH RETROFLEX HOOK, LATIN SMALL LETTER I WITH DIAERESIS AND ACUTE, LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CURL" for all you people who wanna go look it up in your Unicode handbook. Yeah, I know you're out there.

I made a three-second track of silence and said it was by The Superfluous U's, which, incidentally, would be an awesome name for a hyperlinguistic gang. I call dibs. I also gave the album name the ridiculous squiggly mess above, which, incidentally, would be an awesome name for a hyperlinguistic gangster. I call dibs again.

So, anyway, what did the iPod do? iTunes successfully displayed all the letters, but the iPod displayed it as đṝḭḯ (that's the d, the r, and the last two i's). Man, what a gyp. I should do as Mitch did, and walk into the Apple headquarters, screaming "YOU OWE ME SOME LETTERS!"

Edit: As it stands in this post, my gangster name is literally unpronounceable. To compensate, I changed the d-with-stroke to d-with-middle-tilde and the i-with-diaeresis-and-acute to i-with-stroke. Now it's theoretically pronounceable, but I still can't do it.